The GEMS website is being developed in phases to ensure that the site reflects the needs of East Berkshire residents whether children, young people, or adults.
Within the About Autism and About ADHD sections you will find a selection of Frequently Asked Questions, if these do not reflect your needs – please email requests for further information to email@example.com or call our helpdesk team on 0800 9991342.
In the Workshops section you will find the course descriptions and dates of nationally accredited courses supplied through our partners.
In the Learn More section there is a range of easy-to-access online modules. Once you have registered, the helpdesk team can send you the link.
Who is GEMS for?
GEMS is for children, young people and adults who are diagnosed with, or who may have, autism and/or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The service also supports parents and carers. Whatever stage of your autism/ADHD journey you are at – pre-assessment or post-diagnosis – GEMS offers a single point of contact where you can access information, advice and support.
What do we provide?
Our interactive workshops, based on evidence-based programmes, are available weekdays, evenings and weekends, face to face and online.
- For parents and carers, a programme of workshops
- For children and young people aged 5-25, a programme of workshops and social groups
- For adults aged 25+, a programme of workshops and social groups
In Bracknell Forest we offer an enhanced service for adults aged 18+ with autism. This service offer includes:
- Transition workshops for parents and carers
- Wellbeing workshops
- Social activities
What our help desk can do
Our help desk can support you as follows
- Suggest suitable courses to meet your needs and get you booked on to a course in partnership with our organisers.
- Provide evidence-based modules on a wide range of topics.
- We offer a call back service if the lines are busy. Please provide your contact details only and do not leave contact details on behalf of someone else when submitting your enquiry.
- Answer general questions about autism e.g. what autism is, signs of autism.
- Answer general questions about ADHD e.g. what ADHD is, signs of ADHD.
- Provide information about other organisations that may be able to help you in East Berkshire.
What our help desk cannot do
- The help desk cannot advise you on legal issues. The GEMS help desk cannot take on your case, nor act as an advocate. None of our advisers are legally trained.
- Our help desk team are clinically supervised but are not clinical advisors. However, where possible we will give you details of how to find others who may be able to help.
- We cannot offer a counselling service. Our help desk team are not qualified counsellors. Please contact the National Autistic Society or the ADHD Foundation who may be able to signpost you to counsellors with knowledge of autism and/or ADHD.
- We cannot advise you about specific mental health conditions but can signpost you to evidence based resources that may help.
We are looking forward to receiving your calls and supporting you where possible.